Our Ikea coffee table was about one week away from being tossed out on the curve. Was black-brown and banged up. Between babies and just years of ware and tear - this cheap coffee table was beyond repair.
I used white chalk paint, left the top dark, hand-nailed some wood I had lying around to the top, stained and voila! A less ugly coffee table!!!
What you will need:
- 1 Ugly Coffee Table
- 1x6 or 1x4 planks that are about 2-4 inches longer than your coffee table
[For this project I used 6 1x6 Pine at a little over 4 ft each (49 inches long)]
- White Chalkpaint (I used Rust-Oleum Linen White)
- Some finishing nails
- First step is I cleaned the table and let it dry. (Only took a few minutes.)
- Painted the whole table except for the very top, I left this the dark brown-black so that you wouldn't see white peeking out from between the boards I was nailing on top.
- Measure the middle of the table and decide how many boards you want. Since I was using any even number I made sure the two middle boards were even.
- Then I just nailed away - two nails on each side per a board. I didn't use wood glue but you could if you wanted to.
- Once the boards were on, I stained and did some touch up work.
- Later on, I did put a protective coat over the chalk paint. (I used Rust-Oleum's Matte Clear Coat.)